Thickness measurement in hot rolling mills
Thickness measurement is one of the most important measurement tasks in hot rolling mills. With the O-frame and C-frame thicknessCONTROL MTS 820x and MTS 920x series, Micro-Epsilon offers high precision measurement systems. Based on laser triangulation technology that uses a discrete laser line, these systems offer numerous advantages over alternative measurement technologies.
- Material-independent measurements
- Alloy-dependent calibration is not necessary
- Robust for harsh environmental conditions due to protection against emulsion, steam and high temperatures
- Large sensor distance with high precision
- High lateral resolution enables precise edge detection
- Flexible software and hardware enable easy integration to the rolling mill
O-frame thicknessCONTROL MTS 9201.LLT
The system is an O-frame shaped design with a welded construction that is integrated into the line after the scissors operation. Sensors and electronics are water-cooled in order to resist high temperatures. The upper sensor is adjusted to the thickness using a vertical axis in order to measure the large thickness variation with correspondingly high precision.
- Width: 1000mm to 2450mm
- Thickness: 10mm to 160mm
- Material temperature: 80 to 350°C
Two parameters are measured. First, a longitudinal profile of the centre thickness is detected while the plate passes through the system in one direction. Subsequently, a cross profile is detected while the plate returns.
- Patented temperature compensation
- Alloy-independent measurements
- Low space requirement
C-frame thicknessCONTROL MTS 8202.LLT
The system is designed as a suspended C-frame behind the stand. The upper sensor is moved using a vertical axis. This enables a small and therefore high precision sensor measuring range to be used despite a large change in thickness.
- Width: 1000mm to 2740mm
- Thickness: 13mm to 150mm
- Material temperature: 100 to 360°C
With each slab, the C-frame moves close to the edge after a fully automatic calibration. After the leading end has passed the system drives the C-frame to the measuring position. Before the rear end of the slab, the system is removed again from the danger zone. The results enable the roller gap to be controlled and adjusted.
- Alloy-independent measurement
- Air-blow system protects lenses
- Water-cooled sensor technology